Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gratitude

When I wrote my Rev3 Race Report last night I intentionally left out my thank you's.  They are so important to me that I feel they deserve a post of their own.

Getting through my first half took a lot of work, work I had to do myself. It also took a lot of support and help from a few others...

Jimmy Z - best friend, husband, sherpa
Last fall, I drank a few pints of Guinness after a sprint tri then admitted to Jimmy that I wanted to train for a half.  He said something along the lines of "hell yeah!" and we went home to sign me up (Ironman Poconos - Oct 2011).  Since then he's been by my side through all of this.  He joins me on my training rides (but not the runs... I've learned better than to even suggest such torture), he politely listens to me chatter away about anything related to triathlon, and he has even given up some really good surf so I can stay home and train.  Probably the biggest show of his support for me was flying to Portland for this race.  He couldn't get any time off work so he flew out Saturday then home Sunday after the race.  If anyone has ever flown back to back redeyes, or been a Sherpa for a long race, or even both... you know this is love.  I love you babes!

John Hirsch - coach, supreme evil leader, maker of breakfast
John has been my coach since I drank those pints, registered for IMPM and then realized what I'd gotten myself into.  I had blog stalked John so I knew he was my kind of people.  When he announced he had openings for new clients, I shot him an email asking if he had any interest coaching a total newbie.  Even though he coaches some bad ass athletes,  he was willing to take me on.  He took me from struggling through sprint tris, to training in the beautiful mountains of southern Spain, to finishing my first 70.3.  I can honestly say that if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have/couldn't have done this.

Christine Lynch - nutritional mentor, SLB chef extraordinaire, teller of silly jokes 
Christine is one of the coolest chicks ever.  Seriously!  We met at stronglikebulltraining.com in Spain where she cooked up amazing, beautiful meals for all of the athletes.  Since then she's helped me with some nutritional struggles and helped me put together my nutrition plan for this race.  I followed her advice, nailed my nutrition and finished the race feeling great.  She also had me giggling all the way up to the race start.

I knew Christine and John were special when they both came to find me on El Torcal (a climb in Spain that had destroyed me physically and mentally) and helped me finish.  They kept saying, just a little further and you will see one of the most beautiful sights in the world.  It was true, the view of the Mediterranean from a Spanish mountaintop was amazing... but what really touched me was their willingness to help out someone when they really needed it.  They turned pain into a party.  These guys are awesome.

I felt like the luckiest athlete in the world having the three of you at my first big race.  If I could assemble a dream team to support me in this, it would be you. 

I owe each of you a big thank you, so here it is...

THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment